Grow Big Red
We invite everyone to help Keep Nebraska Beautiful celebrate Nebraska’s beauty by planting red flowers from border to border all across our great state! “Grow Big Red” is a fun, beautification effort to help make our communities more vibrant and welcoming. It’s also a great way to show your Husker spirit!
All participating community organizations are encouraged to contact their local city parks and recreation personnel to identify planting locations within public areas such as schools, parks, libraries, zoos, along highways and curb sides, community entrance areas, and other sections of public property. Private citizens are also encouraged to plant red flowers within residential yards and commercial property sites.
How You Can Participate
Grow Big Red is a project that can be easily implemented in large and small communities across the state. Fill in our Participation Form or contact us and help make this spirited program possible by taking part in one or more of the activities listed below:
- Plant red flowers in your residential yard or garden. Encourage friends and neighbors to do the same.
- Organize youth organizations such as 4-H, Scouts, and church groups to plant flowers within your community.
- Consider adopting an elementary classroom or nursing home for an organized planting event.
- Mobilize your local neighborhood association to work with city parks and recreation personnel to plant flowers in parks and along curb sides.
- Donate flowers or seeds to local participating organizations promoting this effort in your area.
- Contact your local KAB affiliate to assist with community coordination in spring beautification efforts and composting in the fall.